How to reduce Your Baby's + Childeren iPad Time and addiction - Tips

Ever since I bought the iPad and started this blog to share my experience with Apple iPad, my first Apple product, I have come a little further. My 2 and half-year-old baby is completely addicted to iPad nowadays, she doesn't allow us to touch the iPad, if she does, she give it just for two minutes :( and take it again. This may sound common and normal, but it's not if you are a parent, who cares for your child. Though iPad has helped to learn a lot of new things, as she learned a lot of things from nursery rhymes video on YouTube, I still don't feel comfortable allowing so much iPad time. It's definitely not good, though it started with a few hours, now she almost spends 50% of her day time on iPad without giving any attention to anybody. 

Things get worse when she refused to sleep without an hour or two on the iPad, watching those cartoons or nursery rhymes videos. I am worried about her eyes and physical activities so I have taken a few steps to reduce her iPad time. Let's see how far I go, but things looking good as we are able to minimize her iPad time by 30% nowadays. 

She still spends considerable time on the iPad but I know it will take some time before we can allow her to only use the iPad for 2 to 3 hours per day. I am sharing this with everybody to know if your baby is also suffering from this iPad addiction problem and what are you doing to reduce or minimize her iPad time. By the way, here are things we are trying with our baby to reduce her iPad time.



Tips to reduce baby's iPad Time and addiction

How to reduce your baby's iPad time and addiction
1) Earlier we used to hand over iPad with each cry and whenever we wants to focus on our own things, but now we have changed this a bit. Instead of giving her a laptop, we sometimes talk to her and change her focus on other things like stories, other toys and if nothing works out, we play with her or take her out to the garden for some outdoor activities. This thing is working for her because she loves to spend time outdoors, but yes it's a little inflexible as you may not be able to focus on other things. This single tip has reduced my baby's iPad time by 10%.

2) We have started spending more time with her. This starts with more talking, more questions, more answers, and more stories. So whenever we are in the home, we try to play with her and be with her rather than handing over the iPad and watching TV or playing video games. Babies love parents around them and even if you don't do too much interaction they will start playing by themselves if you are around.

3) We recently bought her a new baby house and new toys, and encouraged her to arrange her toys in her own house, we gave her toys names to make it personal and it seems she is loving that. Nowadays, when we are not around she spends more time around our toy house and with other toys than with her iPad, which was the case earlier.

4) We are hiding her laptop most of the time so that she can not get easy access. This is a bit difficult because sometimes she becomes fussy and starts crying or shouting for her iPad as "give me my laptop", "where is iPad" and we poor parents, fell almost in no time. Though we are trying to become more strict and trying hard to change her attention to different things than the iPad it works only sometimes.

Though following things has certainly helped to reduce my baby's iPad time, it has not yet reduced her addiction. iPad is still my baby's favorite toy and she loves it more than anything else. We also don't manage to reduce her iPad time before sleeping, which is now our first priority. Let me know if you guys are facing the same issue with increasing iPad time with your children and how you are dealing with them?

Happy parenting, thanks to Apple and iPad :)

Related iPad tutorials and tips from this blog

1 comment:

  1. I am on the same boat, My daughter says, papa, give me lattop, lattopppppppp and I have to oblique. She doesn't pay any attention to anybody, once she hooked to her iPad. Even before sleeping, she says, papa light, papa give me ipad and all :)

    Thanks for you tip, though I doubt it will work :))

    ReplyDelete